Sunday, February 12, 2017

The Future of Journalism

If you will notice I shagged back a bit yesterday.  No big mystery here. We have now moved a family into the house we were rebuilding. I'm still in my apartment up front, but for all intents and purposes they are settling into the house, which has been a Wild West show, up to and including gunfire, for the last four years ( there's a message there Beetlejuice.) For the first time since April 17, 2012 we had a California wine and cheese on the porch with guests milling around the grounds discussing politics, weather, and future hopes.

From here we will complete the repairs on the other house that suffered the fire. I'll move there to supervise that. By May that will be complete and my grandkids may or may not summer in Texas. I would prefer they stay in Utah. They like it there, they are settled in, and I want them to have a milder summer than we do here. The attacks my family has endured has been relentless. Hundreds of calls, all coming from six ex-convicts causing my children to run from one state to another. That is all over now and I'm paying these people back with interest. Vengeance is mine saith the Lord, and I'll go with that, but I do take a little myself!

In spite of all this the publications have proliferated. The landscape has evolved and it's exciting. The printed word has been replaced with an iPhone and Facebook LiveFeed. We are standing on the edge of a huge leap forward in communications. The rules are remarkably the same as they were in 2006 when Jackie leaned over my shoulder, saw YouTube for the first time, and asked, "What do we have here?" Video killed the radio star, and Facebook killed the YouTube phenomenon.

Yesterday I stopped, took a break, and assessed the future of my enterprise. I intend to make a fortune. I like to set reasonable goals. Shifting my focus will allow me to generate better copy, and garner more readers and viewers. I look forward to entertaining all of you for years to come. It was a great wine and cheese last night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment