Friday, November 4, 2016

The Devil You Know

Here toward the last days of the election I am struck by how little of the two candidates we know. Oh, I get it that we think we know who these two people are, but I think that's just our propensity for jumping to conclusions talking. When I was a young man in business college they taught me some things I didn't know, like what kind of profile to look for in this and such an employee. Back then, business owners wanted to know something about a person before they hired them. I beat many an unsuspecting rival to the punch getting hired by being open in the interview and letting some of my personality show.

 Now, I know that a lot of folks feel that The Donald showed us some of his personality that could be filed under the heading TMI, but whoa there people, let’s take a closer look. What did we actually see? Well, I for one saw a candidate who was willing to admit that he might need to realign his thinking about social issues. A man who is willing to admit that he is capable of being wrong, and implementing change accordingly. With all of the furor over his gaffe, I think most folks missed that.

Sometimes media response is so overwhelming that everything said afterward is lost in a never ending echo. I have seen this over and over again. Trump shows us something personal, and the mainstream media uses it to illustrate the fulfillment of their prophecy. For my own part I can sympathize. Seriously guys, being a candidate for office presents a steep learning curve, and many a dog has been run over learning not to chase cars. To my eye, Trump is showing me that he has the capacity to change course if that course is mistaken. After all, isn't Trump running on a platform of direction change? Isn't that what what him popular to begin with? And what about the opposition? What has Hillary shown us of her soul?

The Clinton campaign is keeping such a tight lid on personal information about.the candidate that I am inclined to believe that there is much there to hide. With only a few days to go now I would like to share a story with you that I Know quite well to be true; that's because I’m in it. Well peripherally that is.

 Many years ago, when I was a caseworker at a life skills training program for the mentally ill, I had a particularly difficult client who simply could not hold down a job. When at last he told me that he wasn't made for work in the real world I helped him formulate a way of getting some money. The young man decided he wanted to write people with more money than they need, and ask them for some of it. After some long hours wording his request he decided to send the first letter to the then financially embattled Donald Trump. When I asked him why Trump, pointing out the fact that Trump was fighting bankruptcy, He said that he had thought about it, and that Trump seemed like a man who might understand what it was like to be challenged. Needles to say, I felt some fear for the young man’s feelings. A couple of weeks went by, and just when I was getting ready to confront the task of orienting my client to reality, he brought in an envelope addressed to him from Donald Trump. We opened it together. In truth, I kind of wanted to read it first in case it held some form of derisive words, or a denouncement of begging by mail. To my immense surprise the envelope contained a check for five thousand dollars, and a brief but warm letter letting my client know that he, Donald Trump knew what it was like to be misunderstood and poor. He cited his bankruptcy and divorce for credibility
. Now, I know nothing more of Trump than what I just said, but thefts a hell of a lot more than I know of Hillary. And Mr. Trump, wherever you are, thank you for not breaking that young man’s heart. Far from it, you gave him a faith in his fellow man he did not know before. For that reason alone, you have my vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment