Monday, August 17, 2015

Listen for the Note

What drives me as a writer is a single note. There is a music of life. A single note sounding through the universe, being received by each soul.  Doc Greene can attest to this. I'll crack down on some John Forgerty and a six pack and turn out the best conservative article you ever read. The spirit takes me away and since a song writer thinks on a dozen levels at once the results are multi-faceted. People dig for subliminal meanings and it's all there in the note. 

    It stems from joy. Sometimes sorrow. The point is it is pure. The lyrics don't matter. I totally reject "Imagine" as a viable explanation of life, but Lennon's spirit speaks to me, perhaps telling me something he didn't even know he said. I hear my note, he heard his.  You come upon a truth, and you pound that nail again and again until it fits. I've had members of my family who thought I was crazy when they see me talking to myself, alone on the porch. I'm not talking to myself. I'm reciting an article, making sure it has the same continuity, the same flow as a song that sticks in your head. If the article labors the tongue, it will labor the mind. It must be so the writer and the reader come upon the idea at the same time, maybe not agreeing, but appreciating the fact, at least they were there. Both perceiving that single note in their own peculiar way. 

    The writer's job is to explain the complex and make it simple. To take a full concert and bring it down to that single note. Where some more educated analysts will spend pages trying to explain, each page piling more confusion upon doubt, I just say if you believe that have I got a bridge for you, and it's on sale!  But the bottom line is I think with a songwriter's mind. Short, direct, sixteen lines, chorus and out. Make it right, make it stick, sound the note, and move on. 

    Politicians rarely get this. Between the spin, and the outright lies they become muddled in politics, the note drowned out by the clamor, and that's why young people listen to music before politicians. They know all politicians are liars and the song has some measure of truth for them. The young can hear the note. Oh, but if the constitution were a song, how easy it would be. 
"Keep your guns, have some fun
 Wave 'em round in the sun
 Shoot the crooks and make 'em run
 But all of y'all can keep your guns."
       Or
 "You can say just what you feel
  You can pray to a tractor whe
  It don’t matter, you all free                                                                          
  Long as you don't mess with me."
 

    Kids got it right, but they get old, and the note goes away. Gotta catch them young, while they still have the fire. That way they don't question when we send them to war. The truth lies in the graveyard, and the lies get re-elected. That's the way it's always been. 
 "Life's a circle we all know
 There ain't no new way to go
 And if you stay home you'll probably be just fine
   Broken dreams and empty chairs
   We'll all face the fire down there
   And I hope yours burns cooler than mine."

    
Listen for the note.  

No comments:

Post a Comment