Sunday, March 29, 2015

Happening Guy

     Spent the day in Austin at the Capitol today at the Standup America Rally. I think, in total, about twenty-five of us stood up, of course, I remained seated because I have a bad leg. Right before our little venue there was a dance meeting concerning diabetes. It was a Mexican thing, with lots of dancing with those happy Spanish tunes you just have to like, and as much as I like to see young Mexican girls jump around in shorts, their head count was, well, "mucho!"

      Now, I'd like to give you the program here. Hundreds of Mexicans dancing and working against diabetes, followed by US going on about kicking fat Mexicans out of the country! Yeah, that's about it. I had to sit back, stroke my beard, and wonder why. Our speakers were good. An expert in Middle Eastern politics who applied his experiences on our border with some very profound facts, the lead speaker citing laws already on the books that could shut the border like a chicken shack with rats, Heidi Hansing, who's smooth delivery lent a human element, and finally, George Rodriguez who was sheer poetry! Now here's the rub!

     Hundreds of young Texans of Mexican decent were there. When their meeting was over they began to disperse. They NEEDED to hear George Rodriguez! All of these fine, decent people, dancing for a cure for diabetes. I KNOW there weren't bundles of illegals among them, and George's message would have gone straight to the heart. 

     We have to find a new approach to our message. My manager, years ago, told me that everybody wants to get next to a "happening" guy. That's what made all the kids on 6th street flock to a Willie Nelson concert. Be honest; he was singing old stuff I heard in the 50's. Our message is current, but we have to "sell" it! Rattling facts and figures ain't gonna make it. We have to become "happening!" 

     Raging Elephants attacks one issue after another, and our success rate is going up, but you can record the greatest record that's ever been recorded, and it's not worth a flip if nobody buys it.  I'm sorry to say that. To quote a Roman Emperor, "Let it be wonderful, or let it be awful, but let it be UNcommon!" I'm good at uncommon. I'm REAL good at getting down!

No comments:

Post a Comment